Monday 2 June 2014

Easy slice

I often wonder what to bring when visiting someone. I don't like arriving somewhere empty handed but sometimes it's hard to predict who else might be there at the same time and, therefore, how many I might potentially need to cater for. Dinner parties are easy enough; I usually can't go wrong with making bread or dessert as they are courses that can easily be doubled. But visiting at other times can be tricky. (Don't get me started on anticipating special diets and dietary requirements!)

That's where slices can save the day. Usually one recipe means there is enough to safely go around with some to spare or leave behind. I dug out my trusty copy of Easy Slices and found the title recipe was exactly as described: easy and no baking required!

Easy slice

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup sultanas
  • 250 g packet plain sweet (wine) biscuits, crushed
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 T cocoa
  • 50 g pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
  • 65 g butter, melted
  • 60 ml orange (or milk combined with lemon essence)
  • 100 g chocolate, melted (for topping)
Method
  1. Combine biscuits, sugar, cocoa, nuts and sultanas.
  2. Pour in the butter and juice and stir through.
  3. Press firmly into a lined slice tin and top with melted chocolate. Refrigerate until firm and cut into slices.
Makes 24 pieces.

Easy slice

No comments: