Sunday 11 September 2011

Sultana cake

This recipe for standard sultana cake is one that I have been baking for years. It is very simple to make and I just mix it all up in a big pot - no creaming or mixing required. I throw it all into a square silicone pan and notice that it takes less time to cook than it does in metal cake tins but the result is similar. Serve it uniced. This cake is especially delicious when fresh out of the oven - just leave it to cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. It also stores well in an airtight container.

Sultana cake

Ingredients
  • 340 g sultanas
  • 225 g butter
  • 3 eggs
  • almond or vanilla essence
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
Method
  1. Boil sultanas in water for 8 minutes. Drain, then melt in the butter using the heat from the sultanas. Stir well.
  2. Beat eggs in a bowl with a fork. Beat in a few drops of almond or vanilla essence, then add sugar, flour and baking powder.
  3. Add sultanas.
  4. Pour into a greased square cake tin.
  5. Bake 180°C for 40-50 minutes until golden brown and cooked in the middle.
    Sultana cake

2 comments:

Kez said...

Yum - looks awesome :)

Susan said...

*drool*

Ok, I'm going to follow your blog, I like when I smile alot while reading blogs and yours made me smile... this post however, made me drool.