Tuesday 1 March 2011

Purple Cake Day


Today is Purple Cake Day, a wonderful event held annually on 1 March to celebrate the children in our lives while empowering those in need around the world. I love purple , I love cake and I love children - this is the perfect event for someone like me!

We organised an afternoon tea for our team at work and arranged for a few of us bakers to get cooking. I got busy making vanilla cupcakes with purple frosting. We purpled up the office and invited staff to bring a cuppa and a donation to join us. A very creative staff member and her nine-year-old son made some beautiful handmade cards which were 'sold' for a minimum donation. Here is our purple spread:
Vanilla cupcakes with purple frosting
Purple lemon slice made by one of the lads
Stunning handmade cards for sale
Banana cake made by another of the boys
In light of last week's earthquake in Christchurch, we were keen to expand our event and be able to donate to both the Kenbe La Foundation as well as contributing directly to New Zealand Red Cross. The response from colleagues was excellent and we managed to raise a fair bit of money for both charities. It was also a great way to bring our staff together and focus on something positive. I'm very keen to take part in Purple Cake Day each year and support this wonderful cause.

2 comments:

Kiwicakes said...

I had a blast today for purple cake day too. Looking forward to planning for bigger & better next year.

Donna said...

What an awesome thing to do! I wish we had one like that here!