Wednesday 21 April 2010

Banana loaf

Today's blog posts are brought to you by over-ripe bananas. Yes, they were starting to pile up, so some baking was called for.

I was looking for a recipe for banana loaf and found one on this cool site, Blokes Who Bake. Yes, that's right - a baking site for kiwi blokes. The instructions are short and to the point. For example, "You can chuck nuts in if you want". Indeed! The banana loaf recipe worked quite well. It needed a bit longer in the oven as the outside was cooked but the inside was still a little soggy. Oh, and it rose. And rose. And rose.

Banana loaf

Ingredients
  • 75 g sour cream
  • 1 t baking soda
  • 125 g butter at room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large mashed bananas
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1/2 t baking powder
Method
  1. Heat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 22 cm long loaf tin.
  2. Combine the sour cream and baking soda in a small bowl. Cream the butter and sugar in a separate large bowl. Beat in eggs, bananas and sour cream mixture with an electric beater. Sift in flour and baking powder and stir it all through.
  3. Tip the mixture into your loaf tin.
  4. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer comes cleanly from the loaf. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Turn loaf out onto rack and cool completely.
Extras
  • You can add nuts to the recipe if that floats your boat. (I added some walnuts.)
  • Ice it with a citrus icing. (I've left it un-iced, but even that was too tempting for my 2 year old nephew, who started up a litany of "cake, cake" as soon as he spotted it!)
Banana loaf

4 comments:

Courtney Elizabeth said...

Mmm looks delicious! I always have old bananas- I am saving this to try sometime!

milliemirepoix said...

How fortuitous that I have 2 over-ripe bananas languishing in my kitchen... I'm inspired to make this! Looks like a good classic recipe :)

Donna said...

I LOVE banana bread!!!!

I'm salivating so bad, I now need to go to the store and buy some bananas and let them sit there for a minute so I can make one.

Thank you for posting this. A reason to bake! Color me happy and blissful!

Shaz said...

Oh yum. I have everything but the sour cream and a loaf tin! Trying to find a recipe to bake tonight, limited to 125g butter and only a few utensils. It's a struggle but might have to be biscuits. Lame.