Friday 18 December 2009

End of year meme

I saw this on Jane Yee's blog today and considered replying to some of the questions then decided to go for gold and steal most of it for myself (in true Café Chick style). Feel free to do the same if you've got a few moments to yourself.
  1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
    I experienced snow for the first time. A bad back meant that I'll have to leave skiing until maybe next year.
  2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
    Many years ago I stopped making new year's resolutions, so I guess I've stuck to that. I prefer to keep focusing on my 101 in 1001 project instead.
  3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
    Not this year, unless you count a couple of school friends currently living overseas.
  4. Did anyone close to you die?
    Thankfully not this year. Some years I go to far too many funerals.
  5. What countries did you visit?
    Just good old New Zealand.
  6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
    A secure job/career situation. It's been a year in limbo. I'm hatching a business plan for 2010 and am quite excited about it.
  7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
    None immediately spring to mind. That's not to say that it's been an uneventful year, though.
  8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
    Surviving thus far. Or perhaps completing the Wellington Marathon 10km walk with a stuffed back. (I didn't realise how bad it was at the time.) 
  9. What was your biggest failure?
    I'm the sort of person who sees far too much of what I do as failure. I'm mostly disappointed in what happened (or didn't happen) with my career this year but am hoping for better things in 2010. Also, my back injury (see below) has restricted my ability to do quite a bit; it has been both painful and frustrating.
  10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
    Nearly six months of osteopathy for a damaged disc in my back hasn't been fun. :-(
  11. What was the best thing you bought?
    I've really enjoy accumulating bits and pieces for my baking and cupcake decorating collection. How domesticated is that?
  12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
    Ummm ...
  13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
    A few family members; I won't go into details.
  14. Where did most of your money go?
    Far less money came in than during usual years, so it's mostly been on the basics and occasional treats.
  15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
    Going to Auckland to see Simon and Garfunkel in concert. (Well, mostly excited about seeing Paul Simon.) "Hello Darkness, my old friend ..."
  16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
    Oh dear, I've been a 'new music' isolate this year ...
  17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
    a) Happier or sadder?
    About the same.
    b) Thinner or fatter?
    About the same.
    c) Richer or poorer?
    Poorer - thank goodness I'm a good saver.
  18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
    Dancing. I really miss it.
  19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
    Worrying about trying to make other people happy.
  20. How will you be spending Christmas?
    With 50+ whanau at the Chatham Islands, where all our parents were born and our grandparents lived and are buried. Also, my brother is getting married there on Boxing Day.
  21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
    Maybe. ;-)
  22. What was your favourite TV programme?
    Outrageous Fortune. My sweetie and I got out the first few series on DVD to catch up on all the episodes I missed before I realised what a great show this is.
  23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
    I try not to hate or dislike people; I'm not always successful. Yes, there are a few people who have disappointed or upset me during the year.
  24. What was the best book you read?
    I've read a few books that I really loved, including: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Color Purple, On Chesil Beach, and The Glass Castle.
  25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
    Alas, a reduced budget this year has interfered somewhat with my musical addiction.
  26. What did you want and get?
    Massages. Mmmmm. (Thank you, sweetie!)
  27. What did you want and not get?
    Where do I start ... no point dwelling on things like this.
  28. What was your favourite film of this year?
    Although it wasn't released this year, I loved watching The Pursuit of Happyness.
  29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
    Ouch. Thirty something. A quiet family dinner. Move along.
  30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
    Finding a career direction to get excited about before December and be able to start making plans in other areas of my life as a result. Roll on 2010!
  31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
    If it still fits and hasn't worn out, wear it.
  32. What kept you sane?
    How do you define 'sane'? :-P
  33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
    This isn't really my 'thing'. I'm sure my sweetie would be able to offer a few suggestions on my behalf better than I can.
  34. What political issue stirred you the most?
    Education national standards. Don't get me started!! Grrr.
  35. Who did you miss?
    There's not one specific person at the moment. I do miss a few friends who died far too young and some friends and family members who are a long way away.
  36. Who was the best new person you met?
    Tamara Jane, the amazing cupcake lady from tempt. It's always wonderful to meet someone who is so excited about what they do and so willing to share; you can't help but catch their enthusiasm. The cupcake decorating course I took earlier this year has ignited in me a real love of baking.
  37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
    Some people will never change, and they probably don't want to. Don't let them beat you just because they take a strange satisfaction from putting you down or seeking sympathy for themselves. This is not always easy to cope with.
  38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
    "Put the lime in the coconut, you drank them both up ...".  Yep, it's been that kind of year!
Congratulations if you've made it to the end! I'll understand if you skipped most of it. Upon reading through this meme as a whole, I realise that things probably sound a lot worse than they are or have been, but that's the luck of the draw when you answer pre-determined questions. If you're inclined to give it a go yourself, I'd love it if you posted a link back to your own blog. :-)

No comments: