Thursday 6 August 2009

Completely Lost for Words

I met a good friend and work colleague for lunch today and a long overdue catch up. She told me that she had thought of me while she was browsing through a book sale and found the perfect book for me: Completely Lost for Words, by Australian authors Kathy Schmidt and Louise Jourdan. She also bought a copy for herself at the same time. I guess it's ironic that neither of us are usually lost for words; in fact, some would argue that our problem is the opposite!

The book is full of creative quotes and messages for all occasions: weddings, babies, anniversaries, birthdays, Christmas, sympathy, retirement, get well, bon voyage, apologies ... if you have ever been stuck for just the right thing to write inside a greeting card, then help is at hand.

Here is a random selection of a few quotes and phrases from my initial skim of the book:
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar. Helen Keller
When you cease to dream, you cease to live. Malcolm Forbes
A human life is a story told by God. Hans Christian Andersen
A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words. Unknown
You don't marry someone you can live with - you marry the person you cannot live without. Unknown
The best of birthdays of all are those that haven't arrived yet. Robert Orben
Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age. Sometimes age just shows up all by itself. Tom Wilson
Do you have any favourite quotes you dig out and use on certain occasions?

4 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

What a wonderful gift. I love books like this. I have tons of them, and yes, I start my morning off by reading quotes. Collecting and reading quotes is one of my passions. So, whether you are at a loss for words or not, sometimes reading a quote from another is just the thing that makes that little light bulb go off in your head.....that awe inspiring moment that motivates you to reach higher.

Sab said...

That is a really cool gift!

Random Thoughts said...

I Love I and could use a copy for myself. My friend just recently used my words as a quote... She is going through another loss in her family, first her sister then a grandfather, now again the second grandfather each about 6 months apart (so yes less than a year).

My words to her were "God sure wants you super hero strong".

I happen to love Hans Christian from your selection.

Vagabonde said...

I keep a Word documents for copying quotes I like, and now I am on page 52. Here is the last quote I copied, from Oscar Wilde: "Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.”