Sunday 7 September 2008

Hershey's best brownies

We were at a party last weekend and tasted the most divine chocolate brownies imaginable. The host said she was happy to share the recipe, but warned that it was "in American" and we would have to "translate it into kiwi". No problemo, I assured her! Google found me the original recipe for Hershey's best brownies, and I took it from there.

Hershey's best brownies (translated into kiwi)

Ingredients
  • 220 g butter
  • 440 g sugar
  • 2 t vanilla essence
  • 4 eggs
  • 60 g cocoa
  • 140 g flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
  • ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
Method
  1. Heat oven to 180°C.
  2. Grease baking pan approx 33cm x 29cm x 5cm.
  3. Place butter in microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla essence.
  4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with spoon after each addition.
  5. Add cocoa. Beat until well blended.
  6. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat well. Stir in nuts or chocolate chips, if desired.
  7. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
  8. Cool completely. Cut into bars. Makes about 36 brownies.
We had a movie night last night and I'd promised to make dessert. We endured the ridiculous movie, Deliverance (1972) - "Duelling Banjos" is the highlight, believe me. But dessert was great. :-)

It's Father's Day today in New Zealand and, once again, I have promised to bake, so this will be my second practice at this recipe and another step towards goal #87 - Try 10 new recipes.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh I am officially drooling!!

Think I shall try this this evening although as my Dad lives 5 hours drive away I will have to consume it myself and think of him at the same time.

Sab said...

Ooh! I'll have to try that! I also have try ten new recipes in my 101 in 1001... I think I've done 5 already... as new things are so much more fun to do than normal ones...
Mmm... brownies...