Monday 25 February 2008

Charlie

Prisons fascinate me and freak me out in equal measure. Visiting Alcatraz Island was a haunting experience that I will never forget. I've been enthralled by Dead Man Walking, The Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile in ways I can't explain. Putting the actual crime aside, the loss of one's freedom is one of the most horrifying scenarios I can imagine. Don't even get me started on the death penalty.

Tonight's Fringe show at Bats was called Charlie. It is the story of a 30 year old woman awaiting execution for murder. Anna develops a relationship with the new prison guard in her final days on death row. Predictably, Anna and the guard explore their own mortality and what it means to be alive, but with an unexpected outcome.

Hmm. The fact that I have an early morning meeting, yet am still sitting here at nearly midnight blogging about this show means that Charlie is probably one that will stay in my mind well after the Fringe Festival has finished. To me, that's the mark of good theatre.

No comments: