Tuesday 15 January 2008

Yanni - Live at the Acropolis

I’ve been writing a big report today. At times like this, my iPod becomes critical to my survival and what remains of my sanity. However, being a musician, it’s hard to concentrate on the task at hand while my mind is constantly and actively analysing what I am listening to. Music with lyrics can be really distracting, so a search through my iPod revealed an instrumental album I hadn’t come across in a while, Yanni – Live at the Acropolis (1994).

This album is sheer magic. Yanni has been around for a long time, and has been known for recording highly-synthesised productions, but this live album is the real deal. Here, he performs at the Acropolis of Athens with the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra in one of the most powerful, passionate and musically intense concerts I’ve ever heard. Several of the musicians get to shine, with some incredible solo performances on the violin, bass, and percussion. The haunting ‘Aria’ was unfortunately over-exposed when it was used in the British Airways ads some years ago, but still stands on its own merits as a musical piece, as far as I’m concerned.

I remember seeing a video of the live performance shortly after it was released, then was shocked to discover my brother had this album in his collection. (Believe me, this is an unusual selection for him.) Mental note … must buy DVD. So thanks, Yanni, for helping a long and intense afternoon pass so pleasurably.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats so true. Yanni's other albums- including his other live works- come no where close to the beauty and majesty and inspiration of this album.
Its a beautiful collection of works, with great intrumentization, mesmerising orchestrations and superb composition.
Very moving.

Bluey said...

Thats true mate..Yanni i feel is one of the greatest composers ever and this album particularly is magical and evergreen. Infact i have heard that Yanni is getting ready with some new music that would now feature vocalists!
I recently visited his website and message board to find out the information. He also has a Fan Club! The biggest bit of information i found out is that he is set to have a World Tour in 2008! So checkout!