Saturday 5 January 2008

Chocolate heaven


I am a self-confessed chocoholic, even though I don't often let myself indulge in the most heavenly food on earth. So, today I visited Cadbury World in Dunedin. I knew that the reduced tour was running, as the factory is not currently operating. This means that you don't get to the chocolate being made, but instead watch a video of the process, have a wander around parts of the factory, and get to visit the giant chocolatefall. Yes, a waterfall made of chocolate (not quite as elegant as the one in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but you get the picture), which consists of 1 tonne of chocolate rushing down inside a massive silo. The smell is absolutely captivating, and the sight quite incredible. And its purpose? Pure entertainment value - delightfully indulgent.

We found out some really interesting facts about chocolate, most of which escape me now, but I recall something about 3 1/2 Fonterra trucks of milk being delivered to the factory every day for chocolate production(!), New Zealanders eating an average of 4kg of chocolate each in a year (is that all?!), and how it is recommended that we eat 75g of dark chocolate each day. (Can't remember who it was recommended by, but it sounded good to me.) As a bonus, these facts were delivered by our very own oompa loompa - yes, a charming purple dungaree-clad tour guide. Very cute.

No comments: