Wednesday 27 August 2014

WOAP lunch: Portlander Bar & Grill

Wellington on a Plate is fast becoming my favourite time of the year to be a Wellingtonian. A group of us from work had the $25 lunch at Portlander Bar & Grill today. After many attempts trying to book our table and confirm our pre-order, we arrived to a full house and were duly impressed with how many groups were being accommodated all at once.

I chose the twice cooked Boomrock lamb ribs with light South East Asian spices, Portlander's peanut and coriander slaw and crisp potato skins as an entree to begin with. There didn't seem to be crisp potato skins hiding anywhere but the seasoned lamb ribs were excellent. I'd definitely order them again.

Lamb ribs
Because it's Wellington on a Plate and because this is a special event and because I can ... I skipped straight from my entree to dessert - and I wasn't the only one at my table who did that! My dessert was Gelissimo berry pavlova gelato with crumbled pavlova and La Bella Italia vanilla bean crème brûlée. The crème brûlée was absolutely perfect: smooth and creamy with a layer of hard caramel on top that you had to crack into with a spoon. Yum!

Crème brûlée with berry pavlova gelato
I also enjoyed a raspberry and lemon soda from Six Barrel Soda Co. It topped off an excellent meal made from locally sourced produce that was cooked to perfection. *contented sighs from our table*

No comments: