Thursday 28 June 2012

Gum paste decorations

Last night, a friend and I attended Ice Nice Baby with the lovely Tanya Hugyecz from Decorada. This was a practical workshop where we got to try out making gum paste decorations amid the beautiful setting of the Small Acorns store. A glass of wine on arrival and a goodie bag at the end, along with decorated cupcakes to take home and eat, made it a very civilised and creative way to spend a winter's evening.

I've done a little bit of cupcake decorating before, attended a few workshops and accumulated far too many decorating tools in proportion to those that I have used more than once. The reality of time pressures has seen me become quite good at piping chocolate filigree decorations, as they are quick and easy to add to the top of a decorated cupcake at the last minute. Despite the best of intentions to have sessions where I sit and make a collection of gum paste decorations in advance for later use, they rarely happen. Last night was a great opportunity to practise some of the skills I had previously learned while inspiring me to sort through my arsenal of equipment and give decoration making another go. I'm determined to perfect the art of making gum paste roses!

Tanya's iced decorations
Thank you to Amanda and the team at Small Acorns for hosting a delightful evening. We're already looking forward to the next one!

No comments: