Saturday 11 February 2012

Ginger crunchies

These ginger crunchies are somewhat different from the other biscuits I've made so far during my biscuit bake off. To start with, the recipe requires crystallised ginger, custard powder and cornflakes. The custard powder gave the biscuits a slightly 'short' texture. I was worried that the crystallised ginger taste would be overpowering but they were absolutely delicious!

The method is pretty much standard but I found that I needed to press the cornflakes into the mixture during the final stage as rolling them had no effect. I got 22 biscuits from this batch which means that my 'rolling' must be getting better. ;-)

Ginger crunchies

Ingredients
  • 125 g butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 5 tablespoons custard powder
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallised ginger
  • 1 cup cornflakes
Method
  1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well.
  2. Sift flour and custard powder together. Mix into creamed mixture. Mix in chopped ginger.
  3. Roll tablespoonsful of mixture into balls. Roll in cornflakes. Place on a greased oven tray. Flatten with a floured fork.
  4. Bake at 190°C for 20 minutes or until golden. Makes 25.
Ginger crunchies

No comments: